Some were left at odds after their home was engulfed in flames Tuesday night.

Debbie Sharp was in the home when it caught on fire.

She told Fox 15 that her friend moved into the home just weeks ago.

She was helping him in a difficult time by providing things he needed.

“We were here to bring him furniture, he had nothing so we were trying to get him, you know, situated,” Sharp said.

Those things went up in smoke.

Sharp remembers thinking the smell was coming from the kitchen on the other side of the duplex.

“We just figured as the smoke got bigger, the neighbor was cooking something,” Sharp said.

But, flames were coming from the home’s walls.

“The neighbor’s came to the door and said, you know, are you burning something,” Sharp said.

Her friend, Carl, was injured trying to get the important things out.

“He’s fine. He’s got some minor burns, some smoke inhalation of course,” Sharp said.

The Abilene Fire Department determined the fire was started by a cigarette, but sharp feels it was an electrical problem.

Now, she is prepared to provide her friend shelter while he starts over.

“Now they’re back to absolutely nothing but the clothes on their back. And so any kind of clothes, food, any help with maybe getting them into another place, you know, would be helpful,” Sharp said.

Previous story:

A structure fire was reported on Sept. 19 around 11:00 p.m. on the 1400 block of North 6th St.

When the Abilene Fire Department arrived, they discovered "heavy fire and smoke" coming from the duplex. AFD said the fire was quickly extinguished, however, fire crews remained on the scene for several hours, checking for hotspots.

Damage caused by the fire is estimated at $15,000. According to AFD, one occupant suffered minor burn injuries and was transported to Hendrick Medical Center and was later released.

A total of four occupants were displaced by the fire. "Fire investigators have determined that the fire was started by an improperly discarded cigarette," according to AFD.