The Early Police Department is warning citizens of the "one-ring" scam.
These scammers are using international phone numbers to call people in the United States; but, they only let the phone ring once. This tactic is used to make victims curious and want to call back.
What victims of this scam don't notice is that when they call back, they are being charged international prices per minute.
Victims can file a complaint with the FCC.
There are the area codes to look out for:
- 268 – which comes from the Caribbean countries Antigua and Barbuda.
- 809 – which comes from the Dominican Republic
- 876 – which comes from Jamaica
- 284 – which comes from the British Virgin Islands
- 473 – which comes from Grenada