How to use a generator safely

ABILENE,TX -

With the recent rainy weather West Texas has been having a lot of people could be experiencing power outages.
 

And generators are the go-to to restore power temporarily. But they could be dangerous if not used correctly.
 

Dennis O’Dell, a representative from AEP Texas said,"any combustible engine puts out carbon monoxide and carbon monoxide is poison and it's very deadly."

The machines omit a gas that is not able to be seen or smelled, and inside the home could mean your life.

But AEP said as long as the machine is outside and well ventilated the gas won’t be able to enter the home.

Dennis also warns generator users to never plug the machine directly into the home. Generators produce electric volts that go back into the lines that the servicemen are trying to fix and it could be dangerous to them. He said to always plus them into an extension cord.
 
 
 
 

© 2018 KXVA-TV


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment
TRENDING VIDEOS