A parasite called Cyclospora has alarmed health officials after a rise in the number of cases since June and July, said the Texas Department of State Health Services.
This illness is caused by consuming contaminated food or water by a microscopic parasite. In the past month, there have been almost 70 cases; furthermore, in the last year, there were 150 cases reported.
Texas Health Services said symptoms include: diarrhea, cramps and vomiting.
The Taylor County Health Department said to take extra caution when eating produce because that's where the most cases have originated from.
Taylor County Health Director Peter Norton said, "It's mostly fresh vegetables. They've had it in snow peas, they've had it in lettuce, but it's mostly the salad sacks and cilantro that's an issue."
Norton said the only cure is an antibiotic.