BIG SPRING, TX — FROM THE WEST TEXAS VA: "Last week, President Donald Trump declared November 2018 the second annual National Veterans and Military Families Month to “salute the brave and dedicated patriots who have worn the uniform of the United States, and…celebrate the extraordinary military families whose selfless service and sacrifice make our military the finest in the world.”
Beginning in 2017, President Trump proclaimed November Veterans and Military Families Month, marking the first time America celebrated Veterans and military families for the entire month and not just on Veterans Day, in keeping with the President’s strong focus on improving care and benefits to our nation’s heroes.
That tradition continues again this year, with more than 300 events at VA hospitals, benefits offices and cemeteries across the country, including:
- senior leader visits to VA facilities
- open houses
- town halls
- benefits claims clinics
- volunteer recognitions
- homeless Veteran initiative events
- suicide prevention events
- faith-based community events
- flag planting tributes at national cemeteries
To celebrate Veterans and Military Families Month locally, West Texas VA Health Care System in Big Spring, Texas will hold the following events honoring Veterans and their families throughout the month of November:
- November 9:
- VA employees will pass out Veterans Day lapel pins to Veteran patients with live music all day in the facility.
- Medical Center Director Kalautie JangDhari will be keynote speaker at the Big Spring State Hospital
- H.E.B. grocers are providing snacks, desserts and beverages to veterans at the Permian Basin VA Community Based Outpatient Clinic on Nov. 9.
- November 11 – Veterans Day ceremony for VA Community Living Center and Domiciliary residents
- November 12 – Elk Club will have a “Burger Burn” for VA Community Living Center and Domiciliary resident and staff working on the Veterans Day holiday
This year’s celebration of Veterans and Military Families Month caps an unprecedented period of improvement for VA, as the department has made groundbreaking progress over the last two years in the areas of accountability, transparency and efficiency across the department while enjoying an important series of legislative successes.
“At VA, Veterans and their families are at the center of everything we do. Veterans and Military Families Month is an opportunity for us to honor the service of these patriots while educating communities about VA benefits and services and our commitment to customer service improvement,” VA Secretary Robert Wilkie said.
“West Texas VA veterans are at the forefront of everything we do at our health cares system,” said Kalautie JangDhari. “We strive for veterans to choose VA for their health care needs and it is an honor to recognize them for their service and sacrifice.”
The full list of national events for Veterans and Military Families month is available at this link. "